Ph.D., 1952, Indiana University
412 Morrill Hall
My principal research interests are the materials that are at the surface of the earth and the processes that shape, modify and move them. This includes not only geomorphology, but also Quaternary stratigraphy and paleoecology, land and freshwater mollusks recovered from Quaternary sediments, and the application of geologic data to engineering problems and to land-use planning. Recent investigations have been in Nebraska, Nevada, and the Argentine provinces of Mendoza and Salta.
- Wayne, W.J., 2006, The Earth all around us: selected building stone in Lincoln, Nebraska, Educational Circular 19, Conservation and Survey Division, School of Natural Resources, University of Nebrask, 27 p.
- Wayne, W.J., 1999, The AlemanÃ¬a rockfall dam: a record of a mid-Holocene earthquake and catastrophic flood in northwestern Argentina, Geomorphology, 27, 296-306.
- Chayle, W. and W.J.Wayne, 1995, Impact of erosion, mass wasting, and sedimentation on human activities in the RÃ¬o Grande basin, Jujuy Province, Argentina, Environmental and Engineering Geoscience, 1, 403-416.
- Wayne, W.J., 1991, Ice-wedge casts of Wisconsinan age in northwestern Nebraska, Permafrost and Periglacial Processes, 2, 211-223.
- Wayne, W.J., J.S. Aber, S. Agard, R.N. Bergantino, J.P. Bluemle, D.A. Coates, M.E. Cooley, R.F. Madole, J.E. Martin, B. Mears, Jr., R.B. Morrison, and W.S. Sutherland, 1991, Quaternary Geology of the Northern Great Plains, in The Geology of North America, vol. K-2, Quaternary Nonglacial Geology: Conterminous U.S., Geological Society of America, Boulder, CO, p. 441-476.
- Wayne, W.J., 1990, Diamictons of the RÃ¬o Blanco basin, CordÃ³n del Plata, Mendoza, Quaternary of South America and the Antarctic Peninsula, 6, 9-31.
- Wayne, W.J., 1984, Glacial chronology of the Ruby Mountains-East Humboldt Range, Nevada, Quaternary Research, 21, 286-203.
- Wayne, W.J., 1969, Urban geology: a need and a challenge, Indiana Academy of Science Proceedings, 78, 49-64.
- Wayne, W.J., 1963, Pleistocene formations in Indiana, Indiana Geological survey Bulletin, 25, 85 p..